Sunday, February 5, 2012

Vegetable Garden Planning

So we have about a 20'x 3.5' raised bed that we are going to plant a vegetable garden in. After taking away about 6' in paths, we're going to plant two 7' x 3.5' beds. Here's my preliminary plan-

Our Vegetable Garden!
So far we've started everything except the watermelon and honeydew melons by seed. We started the seeds a few weeks ago and set up some plant lights above them once most of them had germinated. Everything is sprouting really well, except for the butter lettuce, poblano and bell pepper. Only one poblano and two bell peppers have come up in the last week or so, so maybe they are just late bloomers. I'm not sure what's going on with the butter lettuce, there are like 2 pathetic looking sprouts, so hopefully some more will pop up soon!
From left to right: Broccoli, Spinach, Catnip, Poblano, Roma Tomato (2 rows), Zucchini (2 rows), Bell Pepper (2 rows), and Onion (2 rows)
From left to right: Cherokee Tomatoes (4 containers), Butter Lettuce (white container), Zucchini (2 containers), and some Rosemary in the back




I am by no means an expert gardener, I usually kill everything I plant, but now that I'm planting in real soil and not on an apartment balcony, hopefully things will turn around. The only exception to that rule has been my little clementine tree that I started from seeds from a clementine I ate just for fun, and surprising it sprouted and grew! Who knows, it may never produce any fruit, but for now it's my pride and joy!



On a completely separate note, check out this video of my goofy kitten. You'd think I never feed him, right? He's actually succeeded in getting this kind of can open and eating the whole thing, so these are kept out of his reach now!




No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Due to spam, we'll approve comments as soon as possible!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...