Friday, April 20, 2012

Sewing a Pillow

I made a pillow! Aren't you proud of me?

I mentioned a few weeks ago that we are working on an outdoor project, and that part of it involves sewing. I haven't said exactly what the project is yet, because I think it will look awesome once completed and it doesn't look awesome yet. You can probably deduce that we're making some sort of seating unit with pillows and cushion, and you'd be right!

The pillow I made isn't necessarily for the outdoor unit, but we'll probably use it there. It was a practice run for me to see if I can sew in a straight line. I won't go into great detail on how I made the pillow (even me with no sewing experience can guess how to make a pillow), but I did learn a few things from it:
  1. I'm terrible at hand stitching after stuffing a pillow
  2. I don't sew in straight lines (but I guess they are straight enough)
There's not much I can do about not being able to sew in a straight line- I'll just keep practicing, maybe by the end you won't be able to tell. But most of the project is sewing on the wrong side, so once you flip it, you don't see my uneven seams too much.

The hand stitching part is a problem though. You can see how terribly it went in the picture (the bottom of the pillow), I ended up machine stitching to finish it, since it was already not going well. So I definitely didn't want my cushions (oh yeah, that's what the final project is) to turn out that way.

So other than learning to sew a cushion, I need to learn how to:
  1. Sew a zipper so I don't have to hand stitch
  2. Sew piping (it'll help my seams look better, I hope...)
This whole cushion project is going to take awhile. So stay tuned for updates, I'll try to link everything so you can follow the whole story of this crazy outdoor seating unit!

Part 1: Super Secret Outdoor Project
Part 2: Sewing a Pillow - This Post!
Parts 3-infinity: ????

P.S. The fabric for the pillow is what we are using on the cushions too, I love it! It's going to look great with bright colored pillows!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Due to spam, we'll approve comments as soon as possible!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...